I'm feeling like I can do more activities now. Although when the time comes for my next dose of ibuprofen, I'm feeling it. It's not really pain just annoying soreness and discomfort.
I want to go Christmas shopping but we can't because of the snow. I had an emotional time two nights ago because we are not going to be getting the kids what they want this year. I think Christmas morning will be a disappointment to them and it makes me feel sad. Also one son already expressed that if he doesn't get the things he wants then he doesn't want anything. Can you believe that! These are the kind of bad attitudes that come from them. It makes me feel like a failure as a mom. They are not learning the things I'm trying to teach them. Valarie won't be hard to shop for. She is planning on moving out when she turns 18, so she just wants anything that she can use for when she moves out on her own. David wants a PSP 3000 and the PSP game Monster Hunter Freedom 2. It's actually not a bad game I think. There is no magic in it and the "monsters" are dragons and reptile like things. Joey wants a Wii and Wii games. We seriously thought of getting a Wii about two months ago as a family present but my boy's life revolves around games. They waste all their time on these games. It's not good for them. Last summer they did something bad and got their Nintendo DSes taken away. During this time they have changed and we have seen them do things they would never have done if they still had their gaming stuff. They rode their bikes, they walked to the store, they pulled out their legos, David drew a lot, they played cards, and board games. They read and they did more of their homework. We don't want them to waste their life on playing games and not being in the real world. Yes, we did set up a computer with two games on it Age of Empires and Civilizations, so they are still playing some games but they are games Loy knows exactly what is on them and Loy is playing with them so they are spending time together. So, My dilemma is, "What do we get the boys for Christmas???" Does anyone have any suggestions? Help!! Should we just not get them anything like they said and teach them a hard lesson? Help!! What should we do?
My friend Jennifer gave me a book to read called "Boys Adrift." It's about the five factors driving the growing epidemic of unmotivated boys and underachieving young men and is written by Leonard Sax. Factors like...teaching methods in public schools, video games, prescription drugs (for ADHD), devaluation of masculinity (from Father knows Best to the Simpsons), endocrine disruptors (environmental). I've just started the book I'm only on chapter 1. It's not a Christian book but it seems interesting. My kids don't take any medication so that's not an issue. They do go to public school, though, and they do play video games. This is the book http://www.amazon.com/Boys-Adrift-Epidemic-Unmotivated-Underachieving/dp/0465072097 if you want to check it out.
OK, I did it. I went around the house and took pictures. These are the things you can find at thrift stores and garage sales to make a home look nice for CHEAP! I just copy what I like from Romantic Homes magazines and Shabby Chic books here are the links to both. http://www.romantichomes.com/ and http://www.amazon.com/Shabby-Chic-Rachel-Ashwell/dp/0060982047 and http://www.shabbychic.com/. I never buy from this shabby chic web site it's way too expensive, but Target has cheaper Shabby Chic merchandise by Rachael Ashwell. I have bought a few things from Target when they are on 60% off clearance.
I made dinner last night and used my Demarle thing for the first time. http://holly.demarleathome.com/ check it out. I made lasagna and it was yummy. I blogged all day yesterday. I added a book list the the right and a link list, you should check them out.
Yummy, cheesy lasagna ready for my family on a cold winter night.
OK picture time... I am only going to post a few a day because the post will get too long if I do them all.
The plates are $6.99 from Goodwill. I can't remember if the plate on the top was from Goodwill or not but I know the one on the bottom was from Goodwill. $6.99 may seem like a lot for a plate but I use them like pictures on my walls, so $6.99 is cheep for a picture. The angels are Norcrest collectibles - they were between $2.99 - $4.99.
I collect tea cups. most of these tea cups were between $4.99 - $6.99 from Goodwill. Some were from garage sales and they were $6.00-$10.00. The tea cups that are hanging on the bottom don't have saucers they were only .99 cents to $1.99. The shelf I painted white was $2.99.
Goodwill sells perfume for $2.99. I got Oscar de la Renta, Giorgio, Fred Hayman's Touch, and Ysatis de Givenchy - all for $2.99 each. The two White Shoulders perfume bottles are from my mom and Loy. They paid a lot for those last Christmas and the one before that. My grandma wore White Shoulders so I love it and it brings back good memories when I smell it.

1 comment:
I still think you should get the wii, or how ever you spell it.
It is an active game and the whole family can play. It is also fun.
I think balance is the most important thing for the kids. To much of freedom OR rules does not work very well.... IMO.
Mom/Gramma
Post a Comment